Friday, July 20, 2012

Wiki Week!


            This week was all about wiki’s.  I have had the luxury to use wiki’s in one class before.  I believe that wiki’s are a great way to work online in a group but on the “flipside” wiki’s can be a little confusing and to some not be worthwhile.  I have realized that when working in groups it can be very hard to share a wiki.  One person will put information on a wiki, the next person will then add information and submit.  I feel as though it is very rare in which someone edits the others information on the wiki.  Many people are too worried about editing something wrong.  I have noticed this and sometimes second-guess myself when editing other’s work without even knowing them or how they may react to my corrections. 
            This wiki site is new to me.  I was very pleased in the tutorial on this page and the fact that I can have a tutorial anytime I need is very helpful.  When navigating this wiki page I struggled to get the hang of it but after a while it was very easy. 
            Our organization is Dove Personal Care.  They sell items like soaps, hair products, deodorants, etc.  Dove’s mission for their social media is to encourage women and young girls.  While exploring their Twitter feed, they mostly tweet inspirational quotes and advertisements for their products.  Some examples are: “Dove @Dove “Go confidently in the direction of your dreams. Live the life you have imagined.” – Henry David Thoreau” and “Dove @DoveMost conditioners work at the surface of your hair. For deeper damage repair, try Dove Intensive Repair Daily Treatment Conditioner!”  On their Facebook page it’s all about advertisements.  If someone shares their post Dove will give them a coupon for their products.  I noticed that they do have a line of items for men but their target audience is all about women.   This is very obvious when looking at their Facebook page because their cover photo on their timeline is a group of women.  

1 comment:

  1. So interesting that "simultaneous" vs. "one after another" editing comes up. What would have been if your team had to edit the same info on paper and not on the screen. Great point of "respect" and "not offending the others" when editing their parts!

    ReplyDelete