Friday, August 17, 2012

Grand Finale



            I think that this class really opened my eyes to how much we use social media.  I’m not a newbie to the Internet, but by using all of these social media networks I saw just how many of my friends already had a profile on these sites.  And to think that a couple of years ago I had dial up and a few years before that we didn’t even have access to the internet…woah crazy right?!  Now with our computers and smartphones we are constantly connected and this could be with our social lives or even unrealistic gaming lives.  The social media sites are what allows us to stay in touch with others and to strengthen our knowledge about other’s interests as well. 
            It is definitely hard to say knowing that this course is cut short because it’s an online semester but I didn’t think that only having a week to figure out a social media site was enough.  I’m not too sure if it was just me but I couldn’t understand Flickr for the life of me.  It maybe because I’m not really the photography type, I don’t particularly like to take pictures or even create a profile of pictures.  But then in saying that I guess I would be a hypocrite because I am in love with Pinterest.  I could sit on Pinterest all day and browse through the pins creating and adding to my many boards.
            I am usually found with my phone but occasionally I swear it plays hide and seek with me.  I must say that constantly being connected leaves me feeling comfortable yet sometimes anxious.  I love having the power to pretty much do anything with my phone from surfing the internet, checking on my social media profiles, checking the weather, gaming, texting and calling anyone etc.  But sometimes I just want to cut the connection and shut off my phone to relax for a few days. 
            I would have to say that my most used apps are Pinterest, Weather channel, Twitter, Instagram, and my bank.  Although I may not be constantly posting information, I love to just browse through to see what all of my friends are doing and to get a laugh here and there from my twitter feed.  I don’t think that I have many unusual apps on my phone but some may not be found on any of my friends’ phones like, the app for my hospital.  This app allows me to stay in contact with my doctor’s office.  If there is a problem that isn’t an emergency I can send a message to them and they can help me with what to do until they see schedule an appointment.  It also allows me to read my health summaries, medication list, test results and show me when my appointments are.  I don’t use this app everyday but when needed it is very convenient especially due to the fact that I am practically a walking insurance policy. 
            I must say that it is going to be nice not having to hurry up after work and get my homework done but on the flip side, this class really brought many topics to my attention like, how the presidential campaign uses social media, how organizations use social media, how connected many people around the world are etc.  I would say that I probably would not continue using my Flickr account and blogging.  I like blogging and getting what I have to say out there but until I get a job or a sweet internship, I don’t think that I will have any interest continuing it. 

Whelp.....



No comments:

Post a Comment